- Sputnik International
Russia
The latest news and stories from Russia. Stay tuned for updates and breaking news on defense, politics, economy and more.

Rescuers recover two more bodies at Siberian power plant site

SAYANO-SHUSHENSKAYA
SAYANO-SHUSHENSKAYA - Sputnik International
Subscribe
Rescuers recovered on Tuesday another two bodies bringing the death toll to 71 people following a blast at Russia's largest power station last week

NOVOSIBIRSK, August 25 (RIA Novosti) - Rescuers recovered on Tuesday another two bodies bringing the death toll to 71 people following a blast at Russia's largest power station last week, a local emergencies spokesman said.

Four people are still missing following the accident, which occurred on August 17 during repair work. A surge of water burst into the turbine hall, completely destroying three turbines and flooding several lower stories of the plant.

"Today, rescuers recovered the bodies of two people killed during the accident at the Sayano-Shushenskaya hydroelectric power station," the spokesman said.

Funerals have taken place for 68 of the estimated 75 killed in the accident. At least one person is being identified through DNA testing, which is expected to take another three or four weeks.

The Russian government has pledged compensation of 1 million rubles ($31,500) to the victims' family, and 100,000 rubles to each survivor. The dam owner RusHydro is also due to pay a further 1 million rubles in compensation, although relatives are demanding 5 million rubles in damages.

Work started on Monday to repair the power plant, now that almost all the water has been pumped out of the premises.

 

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала