- Sputnik International, 1920
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

At Least One Person Killed, 69 Injured as 5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Turkiye

© AFP 2023 / Ozan KoseSearch and rescue team evacuate a body from the rubble of collapsed buildings in Kahramanmaras on February 14, 2023, a week after an earthquake devastated parts of Turkiye and Syria leaving more than 35,000 dead and millions in dire need of aid.
Search and rescue team evacuate a body from the rubble of collapsed buildings in Kahramanmaras on February 14, 2023, a week after an earthquake devastated parts of Turkiye and Syria leaving more than 35,000 dead and millions in dire need of aid.  - Sputnik International, 1920, 27.02.2023
Subscribe
The country is still reeling from a series of devastating earthquakes earlier this month that killed tens of thousands of people, toppled buildings and trapped thousands under the rubble.
At least one person was killed and 69 were hospitalized with various injuries as a 5.6-magnitude earthquake hit eastern Turkiye on Monday, Yunus Sezer, chairperson of the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) announced.
The epicenter of the quake was located at a depth of 6.9 km in Yesilyurt, a town and district of Malatya province, according to AFAD.
Turkish Minister of National Education Mahmut Ozer said that twenty-two buildings collapsed as a result of the quake, with AFAD sending a rescue team to the area.
Turkiye was hit by two powerful earthquakes on February 6, killing more than 44,000 people and destroying hundreds of thousands of homes. Almost two million people have been offered temporary shelter in and outside of the disaster zone, according to the AFAD disaster management authority.

AFAD general manager Orhan Tatar said on Saturday that more than 9,500 aftershocks had been felt in the region since the initial quakes. Tremors measuring up to magnitude six on the Richter scale have been recorded every three minutes and are expected to continue for at least two years.
Istanbul - Sputnik International, 1920, 17.02.2023
World
Possible Earthquake in Turkiye's Istanbul to Result in 'Devastating' Consequences, Media Reports
The February 6 earthquake in Turkiye also affected neighboring Syria, where buildings collapsed, trapping thousands of people under the rubble. The Syrian Health Ministry said that the final death toll from the earthquake in the government-controlled part of the country had reached 1,410 people, however the United Nations’ estimates put the total number of deaths in the country at 8,500. It is unclear whether Monday's earthquake was also felt in Syria.
Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала