- Sputnik International, 1920
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Fraction of World's Population: China Mocks West's Claim That ‘Global Community’ Isolated Russia

CC BY-SA 2.0 / Patrick Gruban / United Nations General Assembly hall in New York City.
United Nations General Assembly hall in New York City. - Sputnik International, 1920, 17.08.2022
Following the start of the Russian special military operation in Ukraine, western countries urged others to impose fresh sanctions against Moscow. The West eventually claimed to have succeeded in isolating Russia from the rest of the “international community,” while in fact, only a handful of non-NATO countries slapped sanctions on Moscow.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lijian Zhao has dispelled western claims about the "international community" slapping Russia with sanctions. Lijian clarified that governments representing only around 15% of the global population have applied sanctions, with the remaining 85% choosing not to take part in the restrictive measures.
He added that only a majority of the global population may be referred to as “the international community,” not the 15% that have backed sanctions.
Furthermore, western allies are divided regarding sanctioning Russia over its special military operation in Ukraine, which started on February 24. NATO member Turkey, for example, refused to follow the US and EU's lead and did not impose sanctions.
Former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger is interviewed by Neil Cavuto on his Cavuto Coast to Coast program, on the Fox Business Network, in New York, Friday, June 5, 2015 - Sputnik International, 1920, 13.08.2022
Henry Kissinger: US 'at Edge of War' With Russia, China
A number of other countries which maintain friendly or allied relations to the West, such as Israel and Saudi Arabia, also refrained from joining the anti-Russia sanctions. The US pressured China to both join the sanctions and limit its cooperation with Russia in the military and economic spheres, prompting a firm rebuttal from Beijing which insisted on maintaining ties to Moscow.
The Kremlin has repeatedly scolded the West for imposing unilateral and illegal economic coercive measures against Russia under various pretexts since 2014. Moscow points out that these economic measures often hurt western citizens more than Russia, and advised those involved to tend to the needs and interests of their own people rather than meddling in Russia's domestic affairs.
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
Заголовок открываемого материала