OVER 1,200 HOSTAGES WERE IN BESLAN SCHOOL: USTINOV

Subscribe
MOSCOW, September 8 (RIA Novosti) - Over 1,200 people were kept hostage in Beslan school, Russian Prosecutor-General Vladimir Ustinov told President Putin Wednesday.

"To date, we have huge casualties. According to our data, over 1,200 people were kept hostage. A total of 727 people have been in hospitals, so far 326 dead have been counted, with 210 of them identified," Mr. Ustinov said.

"Experts have identified 32 body fragments and are continuing their work," Mr. Ustinov said.

The prosecutor-general said the data were not final, and the number of the dead could increase.

The hostage-takers brought with them weapons and explosives, he elaborated.

"The following picture can be seen: immediately before their attack on the school, the gang had assembled in a forest: detainee Kulayev said there were about 30 of them, including two women," Mr. Ustinov said.

"The terrorists moved toward Beslan in three automobiles and arrived there early in the morning. Before the arrival they had a clash with a policeman. They arrived at Beslan, drove to the schoolyard, where at the command of their chieftain nicknamed 'Colonel' they jumped off their trucks and encircled the children and parents who were there," the prosecutor-general said.

According to him, "at the 'Colonel's command, weapons and explosives brought in these trucks were brought in". "There were very much explosives and weapons."

The terrorists' leaders were threatening the hostages and other terrorists saying that everyone would die anyway and the only purpose was to carry on the act of terror, the prosecutor-general said.

According to him, explosion button had been set under one of the terrorists' feet. "That is, if the gunman changed his position, the bomb exploded automatically." "It shows they were highly ready for an act of terror," Mr. Ustinov said.

"There were disaffected among the gunmen, who said: Why are we capturing a school? The evidence of detainee Kulayev shows that 'Colonel' killed a member of his gang to intimidate the others," Mr. Ustinov said.

"On the same day, September 1, 'Colonel' blew up two suicide-bombers by pressing a button, to bully the rest".

"Did he himself do this?" the president asked.

"Himself. It was confirmed by witnesses and the culprit (Kulayev)," Mr. Ustinov responded.

"As for the gunmen, they have been completely eliminated. One of them is alive and is being interrogated. We have 30 corpses of terrorists. One body was torn apart, we have only found very small fragments. Eight gunmen have been identified," Mr. Ustinov said.

The explosion in the school took place when the terrorists were trying to readjust the explosive system, he said. The entire school was mined on the capture day.

The mining was performed by three men - the leader ('Colonel') and his two accomplices. The mining was done professionally, which is clear from the vast surface they had mined," the prosecutor-general pointed out.

"Two days later, when they began to alter the explosive system for their own reasons, it exploded. Panic inside the school followed. While many hostages were trying to flee, the gunmen opened fire," the prosecutor-general said.

According to him, 60 investigators are working in Beslan, over 130 ballistic, explosion, fire, traceology and 180 medical examinations have been assigned".

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала