CHECHEN SEPARATIST WEBSITE MAY WORK FOR A LONG TIME TO COME

Subscribe
MOSCOW, Nov 17 (RIA Novosti) - Less than a month after a Chechen separatist Web site, KavkazTsentr, was closed first in Lithuania and then in Finland, it has reappeared in Sweden.

It appeared on the server of a Swedish Internet provider, Port80 AB. The company's director, Jan Hamberg, said in an interview with Vremya Novostei that he did "not see anything illegal in opening this resource." He said his company worked "with various clients, and if they do not violate Swedish legislation, the company does not interfere with their work." In this case, Port80 AB does not have any complaints about the client, Mr. Hamberg emphasized, and, consequently, the site will continue operating in Stockholm until the Swedish authorities decide that its activities are illegal.

"The problem of KavkazTsentr is not political, but purely judicial," said Anna Ekmand from the Swedish Foreign Ministry's Russian department. It should not be resolved in the Swedish Justice Ministry, but in court. If Russia believes that the decision to open the site in Sweden contradicts international legislation, it should hire lawyers and contest the decision in court.

Yesterday, the Russian Foreign Ministry's press department said its official position was being drafted and had not been finally formulated. The FSB did not answer to a request to explain its stance on the situation. As a result, the reaction of the Russian authorities has so far amounted to a visit made by Russian Ambassador Nikolai Sadchikov to the Swedish Foreign Ministry to express concern over the Chechen separatist site's emergence in the country.

It seems that KavkazTsentr will remain in Sweden for a long time to come, as legal proceedings may take several years. Besides, the practice of diplomatic missions turning to court is unusual and it is not yet clear how it can be carried out.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала