- Sputnik International
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Urgent: Kyrgyz authorities claim ex-president was behind Bishkek unrest

Subscribe

BISHKEK, July 7 (RIA Novosti) - The Kyrgyz authorities said they had evidence that ex-President Askar Akayev had been behind the June 17 coup attempt in Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan.

According to Adakhan Madumarov, Kyrgyzstan's acting deputy prime minister, the country's Security Council had information about a telephone conversation Akayev had held, where his phrases proved he had orchestrated the June 17 events.

Madumarov said the Security Council would hold a session after the presidential elections on July 10 to study the documents related to those events.

Thousands of protesters tried to seize the central government building on June 17, but were forced back by police. On July 5, a special commission completed an inquiry into the events. The results have not been disclosed so far.

Akayev has already said he had nothing to do with the unrest in Bishkek. He said attempts to put the blame on him resembled "a political farce with a sinister tint."

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала