- Sputnik International
Russia
The latest news and stories from Russia. Stay tuned for updates and breaking news on defense, politics, economy and more.

Second suspect in Chechen village attack detained - ministry

Subscribe
GROZNY, August 29 (RIA Novosti) - Interior Ministry troops have apprehended another suspect wanted in connection with a bloody attack on a village in central Chechnya, a ministry spokesman said Monday.

Ruslan Atsayev said that Rustam Ustayev was suspected of being involved in an August 14 attack on the mayor's house in the village of Roshni-Chu, the central Urus-Martan district. Five soldiers, including the commandant of the Urus-Martan district, Colonel Alexander Kayak, were killed and one was seriously wounded.

Atsayev is the second man to be arrested, and is currently giving evidence in a pre-trial detention center.

Atsayev said that five of the militants, including gang leader Kazbek Batalov, had been killed during the shoot-out that ensued after the militants surrounded the mayor's house.

According to local police, more than 80 militants were involved in the attack and efforts to identify and apprehend them are continuing. Interior Ministry troops have raided several militant hideouts in mountainous forests, Atsayev said.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала