- Sputnik International
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Lavrov, Rice disappointed over Iran's nuclear decision

Subscribe

MOSCOW, January 11 (RIA Novosti) - The heads of the Russian and United States foreign offices expressed their disappointment over Iran's decision to abandon the nuclear moratorium, the Russian foreign ministry said Wednesday.

In a telephone conversation Tuesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his U.S. counterpart Condoleezza Rice discussed the announcement made by Iran last week that it would restart work on nuclear fuel technologies after a two-year break.

"The general feeling, in the light of continuing issues relating to Iran's nuclear program, was disappointment over Tehran's decision to abandon the moratorium and restart research in the sphere of uranium-enrichment," Russia's foreign ministry said in a statement.

Iran initially suspended its nuclear research two years ago after negotiations with the EU trio of France, Germany and Britain that were intended to help shore up the international community's faith in its nuclear program.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала