- Sputnik International
The latest news and stories from Russia. Stay tuned for updates and breaking news on defense, politics, economy and more.

Man in south Russia dies after warming his bed with irons

STAVROPOL, January 11 (RIA Novosti) - An 80-year-old resident of Pyatigorsk in the North Caucasus was killed by poisonous fumes when he used four electric irons to keep his bed warm, a local emergencies spokesman said on Friday.

"The elderly man tried to get warm," the spokesman said. "He put four hot irons on his bed and was killed by the toxic fumes from the smoldering blankets while he slept."

Since the beginning of this month, mishandling of electrical devices has caused seven fires in the Stavropol Territory in which Pyatigorsk is located, resulting in two deaths.

On January 5, a 70-year-old woman from the region was rushed to hospital with severe burns after her clothes caught fire when she tried to warm herself up near an electric stove.

To participate in the discussion
log in or register
Заголовок открываемого материала