- Sputnik International
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Israeli army ends search for 'seized soldier'

© Фото предоставлено пресс-службой Армии обороны ИзраиляIsraeli army ends search for 'seized soldier'
Israeli army ends search for 'seized soldier' - Sputnik International
Subscribe
The Israeli army dismissed on Friday reports that one of its servicemen had been taken hostage by Palestinian militants.

TEL AVIV, August 14 (RIA Novosti) - The Israeli army dismissed on Friday reports that one of its servicemen had been taken hostage by Palestinian militants.

"Following security assessments by the Israel Defence Forces, Israel Security Agency and the Israeli Police, earlier reports of the possible kidnapping of a soldier have been ruled out," a press release said.

The search was launched after a female soldier said she had witnessed another soldier in handcuffs being pushed into a vehicle.

Roadblocks were subsequently set up around central Israel.

One Israeli soldier, conscript Gilad Shalit, was seized by Gaza Strip militants in a cross-border raid in June 2006. He has not been seen since. Reports in June said that negotiations were under way for his release.

 

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала