MOSCOW, August 27 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Defense Ministry denied on Thursday media reports alleging that 3,800 troops would be redeployed from the Moscow Region to the Caucasus to bolster antiterrorism efforts.
Some media outlets said that troops from a motorized infantry brigade would be moved to the North Caucasus Military District following a spate of recent terrorist attacks in the region.
August 17 saw the worst attack in the North Caucasus for several years when a suicide bomber killed over 20 police officers in Nazran, the largest city in the republic of Ingushetia.
A Defense Ministry spokesman said 3,800 personnel had indeed been redeployed to reinforce the North Caucasus Military District as part of the ongoing military reform.
He added however that the decision had been taken a long time ago and had nothing to do with the current situation in the Caucasus.
"Antiterrorism operations are conducted by specially trained Interior Ministry and Federal Security Service units, not regular army units," he said.