U.S. President Barack Obama pushed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to clarify the situation with the country's government after Mubarak confused the nation by handing over his powers to the vice president while refusing to resign during his Thursday's speech on state TV.
Obama held a meeting with his state security advisors a few hours after Mubarak's speech.
"The Egyptian people have been told that there was a transition of authority, but it is not yet clear that this transition is immediate, meaningful or sufficient," Obama said in a written statement.
"Too many Egyptians remain unconvinced that the government is serious about a genuine transition to democracy, and it is the responsibility of the government to speak clearly to the Egyptian people and the world," he said.
Mubarak said in his speech he was transferring all authority to newly appointed Vice President Omar Suleiman while announcing his intention to remain the country's president until September's elections.
According to Egyptian state TV, Mubarak's announcement means that Suleiman will be responsible for the country's domestic and foreign policies, while Mubarak will maintain his rights to dissolve the parliament and government and put forward proposals on constitutional amendments.
Mubarak's speech sparked anger among crowds of protesters on Tahrir Square, who had been anticipating Mubarak's resignation.
"The voices of the Egyptian people must be heard," Obama said in his statement.
He also warned the Egyptian authorities against using force against protesters, saying "it is imperative that the government not respond to the aspirations of their people with repression or brutality."
MOSCOW, February 11 (RIA Novosti)
