Anna Chakvetadze announced on Wednesday she has recovered from an inner ear inflammation that ruled her out for much of 2011, and plans to compete in warm-up tournaments for the Australian Open next month.
After a promising start to the season, the 24-year-old Russian collapsed while leading world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki in Dubai in February, forcing her retirement. The illness decimated her season as she finished just three main draw matches, retired from two matches and withdrew from a total of 11 tournaments.
"I'm 100 percent healthy now. It doesn't bother me anymore. I'm completely over it," Chakvetadze was quoted as saying by the WTA tour's website.
"Of course it's going to be physically tough to start playing tournaments again, because I wasn't training at this level for a long time, and right now I can't do three practices a day like I used to, but I feel so motivated to be back."
Chakvetadze, a 2007 U.S. Open semifinalist with a ranking high of No. 5, said she plans to take part in the Moorilla Hobart International starting January 8. The Australian Open is January 16-29.
She lamented the poor timing of the dizziness episodes that doctors eventually diagnosed as being caused by an inner ear inflammation.
"When I got sick in Dubai I was in very good shape," said Chakvetadze, whose ranking has nosedived to 232. "I was finally enjoying the way I was playing. I was feeling the ball great. I had found my game again and was really ready to compete. But then I got sick."
This year the Russian has used the time out for a foray into politics, joining the center-right Right Cause party and campaigning ahead of parliamentary elections earlier this month.
