MOSCOW, July 25 (RIA Novosti) – Two Moscow subway employees – a senior railway engineer and his assistant – have been charged over the deadly derailment of July 15, that caused death of 23 people and injured about 160, the Russian Investigative Committee said on Friday.
Two other suspects will be charged soon, the committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said.
Earlier this week, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin and the new head of Moscow Metro Dmitry Pegov suggested the derailment happened not due to the technical bugs but because of the lack of discipline.
The official cause of the crash has not been determined yet.
On July 15, the deadliest accident in Moscow Metro’s history occurred inside a tunnel connecting the Molodezhnaya and Slavyansky Bulvar stations on Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line after three subway carts derailed. Four people were arrested in connection with the accident, including a rail engineer and his assistant.