TEL AVIV, July 27 (RIA Novosti) - Israeli troops respect the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, despite several attacks by Palestinian militants, one of which killed a reservist, a military spokesman told RIA Novosti.
"Humanitarian window is still active," the agency’s interlocutor said.
This night the military counted three missiles being fired from the Gaza Strip. The army also reported the death of a 27-year-old reserve soldier, who apeared to be under mortar attack at the border with the Gaza Strip last evening, when the ceasefire was extended unilaterally.
He became the 43rd soldier killed in 20 days of the operation against the militants. Three Israeli civilians have also been killed during the campaign, including a farm worker from Thailand. On the Palestinian side, the number of deaths exceeded 1,000, and increased sharply after the humanitarian ceasefire allowed rescuers and medical teams to get to the areas where the most brutal battles had been held.
Hamas and Israel agreed to suspend all hostilities for 12 hours on Saturday. After that, Israel announced the extension of the ceasefire for another four hours - until midnight. This time, the militants refused to make the same promise and fired about a dozen rockets at cross-border regions.
Nevertheless, the Security Cabinet of Israel voted to refrain from resuming hostilities for another 24 hours, still warning that Israel will not to leave possible Palestinian attacks unanswered.