TEL AVIV, August 3 (RIA Novosti) - Israeli Army claimed dead an officer who disappeared Friday in the Gaza Strip, and was feared to be captured by the Palestinian militants.
“A special IDF committee has concluded that Lt. Hadar Goldin was killed in combat in Gaza on Friday. May his memory be a blessing,” Israel Defense Forces tweeted early Sunday.
A few hours ago, the entire family of the 23-year-old lieutenant spoke to the media and demanded the government not to withdraw forces from Gaza until they find Goldin.
“A special commission headed by the Chief Rabbi of the IDF declared the death of Givati infantry brigade officer Hadar Godin who was killed during fighting Friday, August 1, in Gaza. Religious, medical and other relevant considerations were taken into account as the decision was made,” the Army’s press service said.
The alleged kidnapping of Goldin ended a promised 72-hour ceasefire after just 90 minutes, as well as the talks on the conflict settlement.
On Saturday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the operation in Gaza would continue in line with Israel’s security needs even after Hamas tunnels are destroyed. Moreover, Israel refused to send its delegation to Cairo for truce talks.
According to Agence France-Presse, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah Sissi called Cairo’s peace plan a real chance to put an end to the military conflict in the Gaza Strip. Last month, Cairo proposed a peace initiative, calling for a ceasefire followed by talks between Israel and Hamas. Tel Aviv accepted the draft deal but after long discussions Hamas rejected it.
Hostilities resumed in the Gaza Strip on Friday, hours after the US/UN-backed ceasefire supposed to last three days was announced.
The Israeli Army resumed the operation following the attacks by two Hamas militants, who killed two Israeli officers and perhaps took the third captive. Palestinian doctors reported 185 casualties, calling the past 24 hours the bloodiest over the four weeks of operation.
Operation Protective Edge was launched by Israel on July 8 to put an end to rocket fire from Gaza. On July 17, the Israeli Army switched to a ground assault largely aimed at locating and destroying rocket launchers and underground tunnels.
Nearly 1,655 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and 65 Israelis have been killed since the offensive began, according to the BBC.
