The Islamic State jihadist group has taken the responsibility for the deadly attack in Tunisia.
At least 17 tourists were killed in a militant attack Wednesday in Tunisia’s capital Tunis. French, Spanish, English and Italian and a Tunisian are the Nationalities of the Victims, according to Mosaique FM. Previous reports put the death toll at 8.
One officer and several militants were killed during the special operation, radio Mosaique FM reported Wednesday.
Armed militants disguised as soldiers attacked the Tunisian parliament and the Bardo museum located inside the parliament building earlier in the day, Mosaique FM reported. Three gunmen have taken several tourists hostage near the building.
Children are among the hostages.
Ambulances have reportedly arrived at the scene.
The gunmen reportedly have Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifles and hand grenades.
Some initial reports suggest there may be some casualties amongst the tourists present at the site #Tunisia— Michael Horowitz (@michaelh992) March 18, 2015
"Police surrounded the building. Special services are getting ready to release of the hostages and capture terrorists. According to preliminary data, several parliament members were evacuated from the parliament building. Information that the militants wear suicide belts has not been confirmed," the eyewitness Ahmad Fadli, correspondent for the Al Shorouk newspaper told Sputnik.
Tunisia’s law-enforcement officers have blocked two militants in the Bardo Museum in the country’s capital Tunis, an interior ministry spokesman told Sputnik Wednesday.
Two officers were injured in the shootout, the spokesman said.