Russia's Foreign Ministry considers the astonishment and condemnation about Russia's blacklist for EU figures a "political show," a high-ranking source in ministry told Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
The list of individuals forbidden entry to Russia was shared with the EU and member countries and its existence was never a secret, although it was shared in a confidential manner at the request of the EU.
"We handed the lists of persons to our European partners in a confidential manner. That there was a 'leak' of the list in the media remains on the conscience of our European partners," the source said.
The list was created after the EU enacted individual sanctions against Russian citizens in 2014, for which Russia promised a symmetrical response. Its leak on Friday created an outburst of statements by EU members.
"One thing is unclear, did the European colleagues need these lists to minimize inconveniences for potential 'refused persons,' or to create yet another political show?" the source added.
I have more to be proud of than to be afraid of! #Savchenko #Ryssland @EPPGroup #eupol pic.twitter.com/2YOvlcqzOh
— Anna Maria Corazza B (@AnnaMariaCB) May 29, 2015
Swedish MEP Anna Maria Corazza Bildt reacted to learning that she was placed on the Russian visa blacklist by tweeting "I have more to be proud of than to be afraid of!"
Russia previously told citizens of countries which enacted sanctions against Russia to inquire about their entry status at Russian consulates.
"However, our partners preferred not to do this and asked us to inform them through diplomatic channels. In connection with this they were sent the aforementioned lists," the source added.
The document, titled "Russian visa blacklist, handed over by the Russian Foreign Ministry to the EU representative in Moscow on May 27." The list appeared on Finnish state broadcaster YLE's website on May 28.

