- Sputnik International
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Woman With Eye Glued Shut Refused Medical Care As She Couldn't Afford It

© Flickr / Pete GrayBottle of standard "super glue"
Bottle of standard super glue - Sputnik International
A Florida woman has had her eye glued shut for a week since a friend accidentally poured glue into her eyes instead of eye droppings.

Now, Katherine Gaydos can’t afford surgery to treat her injury.

The single mother of two told ABC affiliate WPBF that she was being seen by a doctor who discontinued treatment and postponed surgery until she could find a way to afford it.

“He was talking about doing surgery to try and save my eye, but now I don’t know what to do – I don’t have a job, no insurance or any money,” she told WPBF.

Gaydos’ nightmare started last week when she accidentally got debris in her eye while using a leaf blower.

“Something blew into my eye,” Gaydos said. “I screamed for someone else to get eye drops out of my purse, and they brought super glue and poured it into my eye. I closed my eye and screamed and called 911.”

The company Super Glue recommends people immediately wash their eyes out with water as soon after getting it into their eyes, and to not pry their eyes open.

Sticky situations like this one have been reported in the past. In 2008, an Arizona woman made the same mistake as Gaydos’ friend. Last month in Canada, a receptionist with no medical experience accidentally applied medical glue for a cut on a boy’s eye.

To participate in the discussion
log in or register
Заголовок открываемого материала