Moscow Calls for Start of Direct Dialogue Between Sides to Syrian Conflict

© Flickr / United Nations PhotoExterior View of the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG)
Exterior View of the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) - Sputnik International
Subscribe
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov called on the participants of the Syrian talks to begin direct negotiations.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Russia urges to start the direct negotiations between the participants of the intra-Syria settlement talks, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said Friday.

"We call on the parties to the Syrian talks to proceed to direct contact. Time will show to what extent it is possible, but, unfortunately, the conditions that would allow the parties to start direct talks have not been created for a variety of reasons so far," Gatilov told reporters.

He added that direct talks were the most effective way to reach an agreement.

Syria has been mired in civil war since 2011, with government forces loyal to Damascus fighting numerous opposition factions and extremist groups.

Kurdish children hold a flag of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) political wing, the Democratic Union Party (PYD), and banners during a demonstration against the exclusion of Syrian-Kurds from the Geneva talks in the northeastern Syrian city of Qamishli on February 4, 2016 - Sputnik International
Impossible to Resolve Syrian Crisis Without Kurds - Russian Deputy FM
The parties to the conflict have been trying to solve the crisis through proximity negotiations in Geneva brokered by the United Nations. Four delegations are taking part in the multi-round talks – a government delegation, an opposition group that was formed following talks in Moscow, Cairo and Astana, the Hmeymim delegation of internal opposition and the Riyadh-formed High Negotiations Committee (HNC).

The last round of intra-Syrian talks came to an end on April 27 without reaching an agreement or establishing direct negotiations between the Syrian opposition and Damascus. The HNC put its participation in the talks on hold on April 18, citing the recent violations of the ceasefire in Syria and the deteriorating situation with humanitarian aid access in the country.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала