Initially, it was reported that three people had been killed and three people had sustained injuries following the shooting.
The development means that the suspect arrested for the shooting, Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis, will be charged with a fourth count of manslaughter with a terrorist objective, Dutch NL Times news outlet said.
READ MORE: Anti-Migrant Parties Surge in Dutch Election in Aftermath of Utrecht Shooting
The shooting took place on March 18 in a tram in central Utrecht. Initially, Turkish Anadolu media outlet reported that the suspect had a dispute with a family member. However, the following day, Dutch authorities said that they were seriously considering terrorist motivations behind the incident. Tanis has claimed responsibility for the incident and said he acted alone. The investigation into the motives are continuing and a ruling is expected next week on the initial detention of Tanis.