- Sputnik International
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

Cyprus Police Probe Suspected Serial Killer of Philippine Women – Reports

© AP Photo / Petros KaradjiasChief of Cypriot police Zacharias Chrysostomou, second right, walks with Cypriot investigators and police officers at a flooded mineshaft where two female bodies were found, outside Mitsero village near the capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Monday, April 22, 2019.
Chief of Cypriot police Zacharias Chrysostomou, second right, walks with Cypriot investigators and police officers at a flooded mineshaft where two female bodies were found, outside Mitsero village near the capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Monday, April 22, 2019. - Sputnik International
Subscribe
The victims were discovered in the span of a week at an abandoned mine about 30 kilometres (18.6 miles) west of the capital Nicosia, Reuters reports.

Police in Cyprus have opened a probe into the actions of a possible serial killer after two women were found murdered and dumped in a mineshaft, while a third, a six-year-old child, is still missing, Reuters reported.

According to the news agency, one of the victims was identified as a 39-year-old woman from the Philippines who disappeared in May, 2018 along with her six-year-old daughter.

READ MORE: 'At Least' Three Serial Killers Are On the Loose in Britain Right Now — Expert 

A second victim, who was found late on Saturday, is believed to be a 28-year-old from the Philippines who was also reported missing last year. However, she has not been definitively identified.

A 35-year-old career officer with the Cypriot Army is in custody on suspicion of killing all three.

"This is a form of crime unprecedented for the norms of Cyprus. It's premature to assess the extent of this crime", Police Chief Zacharias Chrysostomou told reporters.

Both women had worked in Cyprus. The island has a rather large Filipino population.

A member of staff poses stands in front of a screen showing a short movie about Jack the Ripper during a press preview for the exhibition Jack the Ripper and the East End at the Museum in Docklands, London, Wednesday, May 14, 2008. - Sputnik International
Jack the Ripper: New Docu Reveals 'Sexualised Acts' of Notorious Serial Killer
The suspect is thought to have approached the women on an online dating site, police said during the court hearings.

State TV has quoted campaigner Louis Koutroukides, who said that police had ignored fears expressed for the women's safety when they went missing last year.

"If they believed me when I went to the police things would have turned out differently", he said.

Police Chief Chrysostomou argued that law enforcement had "every intention" of investigating any perceived shortcomings, adding that they would assign responsibility where due.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала