One of Romania's Ruling Parties to Quit Government Over New National Programme
02:00 GMT 07.09.2021 (Updated: 09:39 GMT 07.09.2021)
© AP Photo / Vadim GhirdaPeople re-decorate a shop as Romanians waving a flag fill the Calea Victoriei, a main avenue of the Romanian capital, during a large protest in Bucharest, Romania, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015.
© AP Photo / Vadim Ghirda
CHISINAU (Sputnik) - The party USR-Plus in Romania's coalition government is set to withdraw five ministers and one vice premier from the government in protest against a new national programme on local development, USR leader Dan Barna said.
Last week, Prime Minister Florin Citu dismissed a USR-Plus cabinet minister who was opposed to the $12 billion National Programme for Local Development investment project.
Ex-Justice Minister Stelian Ion had criticised the project as untimely, saying that the funding will likely end up enriching "local barons" rather than being invested in the development of Romanian cities and villages.
"Tomorrow morning, our ministers' resignation papers will be on the premier's table … This is a tough decision", Barna said on Monday.
Following Ion's removal, USR-Plus asked the coalition to appoint a new prime minister, who will "treat all ministers with equal respect", but since the request was not responded to, the submission of a vote of no confidence was seen as the only option.
The Citu government was formed in December 2020 as a result of a coalition between USR-Plus, the National Liberal Party, and the Democratic Alliance of Hungarians in Romania.