- Sputnik International, 1920
Russia
The latest news and stories from Russia. Stay tuned for updates and breaking news on defense, politics, economy and more.
A Libyan rebel fighter shows a spent cluster munition mortar bomb near the frontline of Tripoli Street in Misrata on April 20, 2011 - Sputnik International

LIVE UPDATES: French Foreign Ministry Rejects Reports Claiming Cluster Munition Supplies to Ukraine

Subscribe
Russia launched the special operation in Ukraine back in February, after Kiev's troops boosted shelling against Donetsk and Lugansk, causing the mass evacuation of civilians. Moscow stressed that the op was started to end the bloody eight-year war in Donbass, waged by Kiev, and that Russia's aim is demilitarisation and de-Nazification of Ukraine.
Russian and Donbass troops continue to advance amid the special operation, as they have liberated multiple towns in the region over the past week. However, the Ukrainian military has continued to shell cities in the DPR and LPR, causing civilian casualties.
Follow Sputnik's live feed and Telegram channels to get the latest updates:
Sputnik News US — https://t.me/sputniknewsus
Sputnik News India — https://t.me/sputniknewsindia
Table of contents
New firstOld first
03:26 GMT 16.06.2022
Russian Embassy Accuses US of Spreading False Reports on Cluster Munitions Usage by Russia
The Russian Embassy to the United States has accused Washington of spreading false reports about the use of cluster munitions by Russia against the civilian population of Ukraine's Kharkiv and also of fully ignoring bombardments of Donetsk by the Ukrainian forces.
The statement was made in response to the recent report of the Amnesty International human rights group in which it accused Russia of breaching international humanitarian law in Ukraine.
"In the current Russophobic atmosphere, the so-called human rights activists only serve the interests of the local establishment. Hence the spread of 'fakes' about the use of cluster munitions by the Russian Armed Forces against the civilian population of Kharkiv and the complete ignorance of the bombing of residential areas of Donetsk by Ukrainian nationalists with the help of Western weapons," the Russian embassy wrote on its Telegram channel.
03:22 GMT 16.06.2022
Kremlin Spokesman Says Media Should Not Ask About Possibility of Nuclear War
Media should be professional and refrain from asking questions about the possibility of a nuclear war, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Sputnik.

"I believe that nowadays mass media should be professional enough to refrain from asking such questions while interviewees should be wise enough to refrain from answering such questions," Peskov said.
02:42 GMT 16.06.2022
There Is No Dialogue Between Russia, United States on Ukraine - Kremlin Spokesman
MOSCOW, June 16 (Sputnik) - There is no dialogue between Russia and the United States on Ukraine, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in an interview with Sputnik.
"No, there is not," Peskov said in response to a relevant question.
Today marks one year since the Russia-US summit in Geneva. Presidents Vladimir Putin and Joe Biden met in Geneva on June 16, 2021.
02:26 GMT 16.06.2022
Ukrainian Chief Negotiator Describes Kiev's Position in Talks With Russia as Weak
Davyd Arakhamia, Ukraine's negotiator at now-stalled peace talks with Russia, has described the negotiating position of Kiev as weak.
"Our negotiating position is actually quite weak, so we don't want to sit at the table if we are in this position. We need to reverse it in some way," Arakhamia told the Axios news outlet.
He noted that despite the negotiations' freeze, the Ukrainian delegation holds phone talks with the Russian party once or twice a week.
"Both sides clearly realize that right now, there is no place for negotiation," Arakhamia added.
Russia launched a military operation in Ukraine on February 24. The countries have held several rounds of talks since then but failed to reach any agreement.
00:44 GMT 16.06.2022
US Prolonging Period of Troubles for Ukraine by Supplying Kiev With Weapons - Peskov
The United States is prolonging the difficult period for Ukraine by supplying it with weapons, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Sputnik.
"The United States is prolonging the troubles, this difficult period for Ukraine, for the Ukrainian people," Peskov said.
00:30 GMT 16.06.2022
Some US Allies Running Out of Weapons to Supply Ukraine - Washington's Envoy to NATO
Some NATO allies are close to exhausting the amount of weapons and security assistance they can provide to Ukraine amid Russia's special military operation, US Ambassador to NATO Julianne Smith said during a virtual panel discussion with the Center for a New American Security think-tank.
"Some nations have given absolutely everything they have," Smith said on Wednesday. "They've talked about slowly over time raising concerns about starting to get to... the back of the cupboard."
The United States and its NATO partners receive a changing list of security assistance requests from Kiev almost on a daily basis, Smith said.
Smith said the process has been challenging and difficult as some nations reassess what more they can give after already providing a tremendous amount of equipment in recent weeks and months.
Nearly 50 countries, including NATO partners, participated in the third Ukraine Defense Contact Group meeting earlier on Wednesday to assess what additional security assistance they can provide Ukraine in the short term and longer term.
The United States announced it will provide a new $1 billion security aid package to Ukraine that will include guided MLRS munitions, 18 more howitzers, 36,000 rounds of artillery ammunition and two additional Harpoon anti-ship missile systems.
00:02 GMT 16.06.2022
Some 22,000 People Evacuated From Ukraine, Donbas to Russia in Past Day - Defense Ministry
Nearly 22,000 people have been evacuated to Russia over the past 24 hours from dangerous areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics (DPR and LPR) and Ukraine, head of the Russian National Defense Control Center, Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev, who also leads Russia's humanitarian response coordination headquarters, said.
"Over the past day, without participation of the Ukrainian authorities, 21,999 people, including 2,351 children, were evacuated to the territory of the Russian Federation from dangerous areas of Ukraine and the Donbas republics," Col. Gen. Mizintsev said at a briefing.
He added that since the start of Russia's special military operation, more than 1.8 million people, including over 290,000 children, have been evacuated to Russia.
Russia launched a special military operation in Ukraine on February 24 in response to calls by the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics for protection from Ukrainian troops. The Russian Defense Ministry said the goal of the operation, which targets Ukrainian military infrastructure, is to "demilitarize and denazify" Ukraine, and to completely liberate Donbas.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said the operation aims to "protect people subjected to genocide by the Kiev regime for eight years." As of March 25, the Russian Armed Forces completed the main tasks of the first stage, significantly reducing the combat potential of Ukraine. Western nations have imposed numerous sanctions on Russia and have been supplying weapons to Ukraine.
23:44 GMT 15.06.2022
Germany to Transfer 3 MARS Launchers, Guided Munitions to Ukraine - Statement
Germany will send three M270 multiple rocket launchers and Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMLRS) munitions to Ukraine complementing similar pledges by the United States and the United Kingdom, the US Defense Department and the German and UK defense ministries said in a joint statement.
“The United States announced on June 1, 2022 that it would provide four M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) and GMLRS munitions. On June 6, the United Kingdom announced it would donate three M270 MLRS launchers with GMLRS munitions,” the statement said on Wednesday. “Today, at the Ukraine Defense Contact Group in Brussels, Belgium, Minister of Defense Christine Lambrecht announced that Germany would transfer three M270 Mittleres Artillerie Raketen System (MARS) launchers and GMLRS ammunition from Bundeswehr stocks.”
The three countries said that the transfer of the multiple rocket launching systems and the associated training they will provide to Ukrainian troops “is crucial to Ukraine's self-defense.”
”The necessary training has already begun on the US HIMARS and UK M270 systems for their deployment in the coming weeks, and training on the German MARS launchers will begin very soon so the systems and their Ukrainian crews can be deployed urgently and without delay,” the statement said.
Earlier on Wednesday, US President Joe Biden said he had notified Volodymyr Zelenskyy that the United States will provide Ukraine with a new $1 billion security aid package.
The new package includes guided MLRS munitions, 18 Howitzers, 36,000 rounds of artillery ammunition and two additional Harpoon anti-ship missile systems, according to the Defense Department.
The package also includes $650 million in Ukraine security assistance initiative funds, including two additional Harpoon coastal defense systems and thousands of secure radio and night vision devices and thermal weapon sites, the Defense Department added.
Last Wednesday, the Biden administration announced a military aid package for Ukraine that would include 1,000 anti-tank Javelin missiles, 50 command launch units and four Mi-17 helicopters, as well as four HIMARS.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian troops have used some of the supplied weapon systems, specifically artillery pieces, to extensively shell civilian areas. The city of Donetsk endured on Monday the most intense shelling by Ukrainian forces since 2015 in which six civilians were killed and more than 30 others were injured.
Earlier on Wednesday, Russian Ambassador to the United Nations Vassily Nebenzia said the civilians in Donetsk were killed by 155mm artillery rounds given to Ukraine by the United States, Canada, Netherlands, France and other countries. Those supplying Ukraine with the weapons used to kill civilians will be held to account, Nebenzia added.
On February 24, Russia launched a special military operation in Ukraine after the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics requested help to defend them from intensifying attacks by Ukrainian troops. Russia has said the special operation aims to demilitarize and de-Nazify Ukraine and operations solely target the country's military infrastructure.
19:47 GMT 15.06.2022
White House Says Optimistic About Resolving Issues to Allow Finland, Sweden to Join NATO
The United States is optimistic that NATO will be able to resolve differences over Sweden and Finland's membership bids, the National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications said Wednesday.
"We're still optimistic that they will be able to work this out," John Kirby told a briefing.
Turkey has rejected an offer from NATO to hold trilateral talks with Finland and Sweden, and the meeting that was scheduled for Wednesday did not take place, Finance Times reported, citing sources.
19:35 GMT 15.06.2022
White House's John Kirby Says Biden Looking at Range of Options to Get Ukrainian Grain Out and Into Market, Adding "That's Not Going to be Easy"
US President Joe Biden is looking at a range of options to get grain out of Ukraine but it will not be easy, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on Wednesday.

"[The] President's looking at a range of options here to try to see if we can get grain out and into the market," Kirby said during a press conference. "That's tricky business, that's not gonna be easy."
19:33 GMT 15.06.2022
White House Cannot Confirm Reports About Two Americans Captured in Ukraine
The White House is unable to confirm media reports of two US fighters captured by Russian soldiers in Ukraine, National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications John Kirby said on Wednesday.

"I can't confirm the reports … Just was made aware of them before I came out here," Kirby told a press briefing. "We'll do the best we can to monitor this and see what we can learn about it."

The White House discourages Americans from going to Ukraine and fighting there, he added.

"It is a war zone. It's combat," he said. "Ukraine is not the place for Americans to be traveling."
18:50 GMT 15.06.2022
Canada to Provide Ukraine With $6.9Mln in Aid for Howitzer Maintenance - Reports
Canada is providing Ukraine a new financial aid package after pledging to allocate $6.9 million for Howitzer replacement barrels, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reported on Wednesday.
The Canadian government is allocating the funds after Defense Minister Anita Anand pledged additional support at the third meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group in Brussels earlier on Wednesday. the report said.
The Canadian government is expected to announce later today that it will provide the $6.9 million sum to maintain the artillery pieces, specifically to replace the barrels of the Howitzer guns the country's military sent to Ukraine earlier this year, the report said.
Canada has sent four M-777 Howitzers from its stock and and is expects to sell more than 100,000 artillery shells to Ukraine, the report added.
18:07 GMT 15.06.2022
UN Praises Turkey for Engaging to Ensure Ukraine, Russia Grain Exports
The United Nations is grateful to Turkey for its efforts to enable grain and fertilizer exports out of Russia as well as grain exports out of Ukraine, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Wednesday.
"We have been in very close contact and are working in close cooperation with the Turkish authorities on this issue," Duiarric said during a press briefing. "The Secretary-General is extremely grateful for the cooperation we have had from President Erdogan, Foreign Minister Cavusoglu, and the Turkish military who have been working so constructively in order to solve this problem."
Dujarric said the United Nations appreciates Turkey's coordination of contacts and regards the recent comments by its foreign minister, who presented a more detailed plan earlier on Wednesday on ensuring grain and fertilizer are exported, as "positive."
17:47 GMT 15.06.2022
Milley: Numbers Favor Russia in Donbass, But Russian Consolidation of Area Not ‘Done Deal’
The consolidation of territory in the Donbass region by Russian and Russian-backed troops is not inevitable, but the numbers clearly show a Russian advantage over Ukrainian forces in the territory, US Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said on Wednesday.
“With respect to, is it inevitable that the Russians will consolidate power in the Donbass … It’s not a done deal. There are no inevitabilities in war. War takes many, many turns, so I wouldn’t say it’s an inevitability, but I would say that the numbers clearly favor the Russians,” Milley said during a press briefing when asked if the consolidation of the Donbas by Russian-backed forces is inevitable.
17:30 GMT 15.06.2022
US Says New $1Bln Aid for Kiev Includes MLRS Munitions, 18 Howitzers, 2 Harpoon Systems
The new US $1 billion package of security assistance for Ukraine includes guided MLRS munitions, 18 more howitzers, 36,000 rounds of artillery ammunition and two additional Harpoon anti-ship missile systems, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said on Wednesday.
"The United States will provide an additional $1 billion security assistance package for Ukraine and that includes our twelfth drawdown from DoD inventory since August of 2021. It includes guided MLRS munitions, 18 of M777 howitzers and the tactical vehicles to tow them and 36,000 rounds of 155-millimeter ammunition," Austin said during a press briefing.
The package also includes $650 million in Ukraine security assistance initiative funds, including two additional Harpoon coastal defense systems and thousands of secure radio and night vision devices and thermal weapon sites, Austin added.
17:18 GMT 15.06.2022
Pentagon Chief Says Third Ukraine Defense Contact Group Meeting 'Very Productive'
US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said on Wednesday that the third Ukraine Defense Contact Group meeting held in Brussels was very productive as participating countries discussed ways to provide further support to Kiev.
"We've had a very productive afternoon at the third meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group," Austin said during a press conference alongside US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley.
17:17 GMT 15.06.2022
President Joe Biden speaks to reporters before he boards Air Force One for a trip to Los Angeles to attend the Summit of the Americas, Wednesday, June 8, 2022, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md. - Sputnik International, 1920, 15.06.2022
Russia's Special Operation in Ukraine
Biden Tells Zelensky US Will Provide Another $1b in Security Ukraine Assistance
15:06 GMT 15.06.2022
French Foreign Ministry Rejects Reports Claiming Cluster Munition Supplies to Ukraine
The information that France is supplying cluster munitions to Ukraine is false, a spokesman for the French foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
"The allegations spread by the Russian media and social networks that France is supplying Ukraine with cluster munitions are absolutely false," the spokesman told a briefing.
France fulfills its obligations under the Oslo Convention on Cluster Munitions, the spokesman added.
14:40 GMT 15.06.2022
US Sanctions 1 Russian, 1 Ukrainian Allegedly Linked to Russian Imperial Movement
The United States has imposed sanctions on a Russian citizen and a Ukrainian allegedly linked to the ultranationalist Russian Imperial Movement, and a separate individual in Sweden, the US Treasury Department said on Wednesday.
"The following individuals have been added to OFAC's SDN List: SHEVCHUK, Stanislav (a.k.a. SHEVCHUK, Stanislav Anatolevich), Ul Asanalieva 8 24, Minsk, Belarus; Spain [Ukrainian national]; ...(Linked To: RUSSIAN IMPERIAL MOVEMENT), THULIN, Anton, Sweden; DOB 23 Jan 1997; POB Sweden; nationality Sweden; Gender Male; ZHUCHKOVSKY, Alexander ...Russia... ] (Linked To: RUSSIAN IMPERIAL MOVEMENT)," the statement said.
14:22 GMT 15.06.2022
Nebenzia Says 'Disgrace' That Western Media Ignores Ukrainian Shelling of Civilian Areas
Russian Ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzia on Wednesday denounced Western media ignoring Ukrainian shelling of residential areas as "disgrace."
"In Donetsk real lives were taken by the Kiev regime. When Mayskiy market was shelled, the father walked out only to discover that his wife and daughter had been killed in shelling," Nebenzia said. "It is a disgrace that the western media largely stay blind, deaf and numb to this appalling incident."
Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала