- Sputnik International, 1920
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.
Aftermath of Turkiye earthquake - Sputnik International

LIVE UPDATES: Russian Space Agency Unveils Photo of Tectonic Fault After Turkiye-Syria Earthquake

Subscribe
On February 6, Turkiye and Syria were rattled by a powerful earthquake measuring 7.7 on the Richter scale, followed by several severe aftershocks and then another similar-scale earthquake. The tremors caused unimaginable devastation, obliterating multiple cities in the region.
Turkish authorities have already dubbed the earthquake the "biggest disaster" in the nation's history, as it nearly wiped out several cities and took the lives of more than 24,600 people.
In Syria, the earthquake also caused major devastation, resulting in a significant death toll and damaging numerous monuments and historical buildings, including the Citadel of Aleppo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Table of contents
New firstOld first
17:20 GMT 12.02.2023
Rights Activists Organize Mobile Animal Field Hospitals
15:39 GMT 12.02.2023
Around 8,500 People Killed in Syria Quake, WHO Says
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The death toll from the devastating earthquakes in Syria has reached almost 8,500, with the figure expected to grow further in the coming days, Rick Brennan, the acting regional emergency director for the Eastern Mediterranean office of the World Health Organization (WHO), said on Sunday.
"The data that we have available to us right now is that there has been around 4,000 deaths and around 2,500 injuries in the government-held areas and around 4,500 deaths and 7,500 injuries in the north-west," Brennan told a briefing.
At the same time, he added that it was difficult to give the exact number of casualties, as they were growing every day.
15:01 GMT 12.02.2023
Flooding of Hatay Airport After Earthquake
15:00 GMT 12.02.2023
Turkiye's Hatay Airport Resumes Operation After Earthquakes
Hatay Airport in Turkiye's southeastern city of Antakya resumed its operation on Sunday after its runway, damaged in the recent earthquakes, was repaired, Turkish Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure said.
The airport halted its operations on Monday following the devastating quakes that rattled Turkiye and neighboring Syria.
"We have repaired the damage to the runway of Hatay Airport. The airport is back in service today," the ministry wrote on Twitter.
The working airport is expected to greatly facilitate the provision of humanitarian aid to the residents of the Hatay province and reconstruction of the property destroyed by the disaster
14:52 GMT 12.02.2023
Live From Aleppo After Deadly Earthquakes
13:58 GMT 12.02.2023
Death Toll from Turkiye Earthquake Reaches 29,605
13:52 GMT 12.02.2023
Live from Syria's Jableh in the Aftermath of Deadly Earthquakes
13:14 GMT 12.02.2023
Assad Thanks UAE For 'Huge' Aid After Quake
12:21 GMT 12.02.2023
Russian Space Agency Unveils Photo of Tectonic Fault After Turkiye-Syria Earthquake
11:40 GMT 12.02.2023
UN Relief Chief Warns Turkiye-Syria Quake Death Toll to Top 50,000
The death toll from the devastating earthquake in Turkiye and Syria will "double or more" from its current level of 28,000, UN relief chief Martin Griffiths has said.
11:35 GMT 12.02.2023
Emir of Qatar to Visit Earthquake-Hit Turkiye on Sunday
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani will be the first foreign leader to visit Turkiye and meet with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after the devastating earthquakes, Qatari administrative office Amiri Diwan said on Sunday, adding that the emir had already departed for Ankara.
09:55 GMT 12.02.2023
13-Year-Old Girl Rescued After 145 Hours Under Debris in Turkiye
A 13-year-old girl was rescued from under the rubble in Turkiye's Adiyaman province 145 hours after the devastating earthquake, a Turkish news agency reported. The girl was given first aid and taken to a hospital in the city of Diyarbakir.
09:49 GMT 12.02.2023
Russian Rescuers Continue Search for Earthquake Survivors in Turkey
Mobile search teams of the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations continue to travel to earthquake-hit sites in Turkiye, looking for survivors that could be trapped under the rubble with the help of special equipment.

"Russian rescuers in Turkiye immediately go to the work sites, where there may still be alive people under the rubble... Mobile search teams for emergency response, formed from the Centrospas detachment, examine the rubble using endoscopes, thermal imagers and acoustic search devices," the statement read.

Emergency and rescue equipment and cynological calculations make it possible to find people even under deep rubble, the statement added.
"Ministry specialists are examining the structures of buildings for their stability. This helps to prevent injuries among search work participants," the statement said.
Meanwhile, Russia's embassy in Ankara said that a group of 39 Russian citizens were evacuated on Sunday morning from the earthquake zone in southeastern Turkiye.
The evacuation was organized by the embassy staff, while the plane was provided by Russian state nuclear corporation Rosatom, which is involved in the construction of the Akkuyu nuclear power plant in Turiye.
09:39 GMT 12.02.2023
8,000 Buildings in Quake-Hit Turkiye to Be Demolished
Almost 8,000 buildings in 10 Turkish provinces affected by the devastating earthquakes need to be urgently demolished, the Turkish Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change Ministry said on Sunday.
About 6,000 employees of the ministry are currently assessing the condition of buildings in the earthquake-hit provinces, according to a statement seen by Sputnik.
"So far, we have checked 132,898 buildings in 10 provinces... of them, 7,584 collapsed or need to be urgently demolished and 12,617 buildings are in an uninhabitable condition due to damage," the statement read.
More than 31,000 buildings received minor damage as a result of the quakes, while more than 60,000 were not affected at all, the ministry added.
According to the ministry's estimates, the inspection of all buildings in 10 provinces will be completed within 3-4 days.
09:37 GMT 12.02.2023
Child Rescued 150 Hours After Earthquake in Turkiye
Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала