- Sputnik International, 1920
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.
Emergency teams search for people in the rubble of a destroyed building in Gaziantep, Turkey, Monday, Feb. 6, 2023. A powerful quake has knocked down multiple buildings in southeast Turkey and Syria and many casualties are feared. - Sputnik International

LIVE UPDATES: Death Toll From Earthquake in Turkiye Jumps to 35,418, Erdogan Says

Subscribe
Parts of Turkiye and Syria were hit on 6 February by a series of powerful earthquakes and aftershocks. The death toll from the devastating earthquakes has now exceeded 33,000.
More than 41,000 buildings in the 10 provinces in southern Turkey that were worst hit by the recent devastating earthquakes, have been destroyed or rendered completely uninhabitable.
Turkish authorities have already described the earthquakes as the "biggest disaster" in the nation's history, as it nearly wiped out several cities. According to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the first earthquake was the most powerful to hit Turkiye since 1939.
According to the World Health Organization, the death toll from the earthquakes in Syria stands at 8,500, with the figure expected to grow further in the next few days. Syria's Health Ministry said that the death toll in the government-controlled areas has reached 1,414 people.
Follow Sputnik's Live Feed to Find Out More!
Table of contents
New firstOld first
21:52 GMT 14.02.2023
Health Ministry: Syria's Final Death Toll in Damascus-Controlled Areas Hits 1,313
Officials with the health ministry have also indicated the injured tally has reached 2,357
18:22 GMT 14.02.2023
Armenian Foreign Minister to Visit Turkiye on Wednesday - Ankara
ANKARA (Sputnik) - Armenian Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan will pay a visit to Turkiye on Wednesday to express condolences in connection with the devastating earthquakes in the southeast of the country, Turkish Foreign Ministry told Sputnik.
"On February 15, 2023, Armenian Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan will visit our country to show solidarity with Turkiye and express condolences over the earthquakes that occurred in Kahramanmaras. After meeting with Minister [Mevlut] Cavusoglu in Ankara, Minister Mirzoyan will visit Adiyaman, where a search and rescue group from Armenia is also working," the Turkish Foreign Ministry said.
This is Mirzoyan's second visit to Turkey, earlier he participated in the Diplomatic Forum in Antalya and held closed talks with his Turkish counterpart.
18:21 GMT 14.02.2023
Turkiye, Syria Have to Cooperate to Effectively Cope With Aftermath of Earthquakes - Moscow
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Close cooperation between Damascus and Ankara is necessary for the two countries to effectively cope with the consequences of the recent devastating earthquakes, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
"Special attention was drawn to the humanitarian situation in Syria. The Russian side stressed the necessity to develop practical cooperation between Damascus and Ankara to overcome the consequences of the earthquake that hit the two neighboring countries on February 6," the statement read.
Earlier in the day, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov met with the leader of the Syrian People's Will Party and Moscow opposition platform, Qadri Jamil, to discuss humanitarian assistance to Syria following the natural disaster.
17:10 GMT 14.02.2023
Erdogan: Death Toll From Earthquake in Turkiye Jumps to 35,418
The death toll from the February 6 earthquake in Turkiye has soared to 35,418, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said.
The Turkish president has said that weather conditions have complicated the rescue operations and infrastructure restoration; the affected regions are also experiencing issues with water supply.

According to Erdogan, a series of earthquakes and aftershocks on February 6 became the most devastating natural disaster in Turkiye's history, with the death toll exceeding that of the 1939 earthquake.
In 1939, a powerful earthquake struck the city of Erzincan, eastern Turkiye, killing 32,968 people and injuring some 100,000.
16:35 GMT 14.02.2023
WFP Delivers Food Aid to 300,000 People in Turkiye, Syria After Earthquakes
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) announced on Tuesday it had delivered food to 300,000 people in earthquake-ravaged Turkiye and Syria, and is planning to help a total of 900,000 victims.
"WFP has reached 300,000 people with urgently needed food assistance, with plans to scale up sharply and reach 900,000 — if funding comes through — following the deadly earthquakes that struck along the border between Turkiye and Syria on 6 February," the organization said in a statement.
The assistance included ready-to-eat food rations, family foods packages and hot meals, as well as immediate relief for families without warm shelter, WFP said.
The next cross-border shipment of food supplies to Syria is scheduled for Wednesday, as the country's northwest regions urgently need support and assistance, the organization noted.
"A region plagued by years of compounding crises faces yet another one, with unimaginable loss and destruction. Immediate relief cannot be delayed," WFP Regional Director for the Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe Corinne Fleischer said in the statement.
Up to 4.1 million people in northwestern Syria, or over 90% of the population, depended on humanitarian aid even before the disaster hit, according to WFP.
15:24 GMT 14.02.2023
UN Chief Appeals for $397Mln to Help Earthquake-Hit Syria
UNITED NATIONS (Sputnik) - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday launched a $397 million humanitarian appeal to help Syria in the aftermath of the devastated earthquake.
"Today, I am announcing that the United Nations is launching a $397 million humanitarian appeal for the people of earthquake-ravaged Syria. This will cover a period of three months," Guterres told journalists.
14:30 GMT 14.02.2023
Russian Deputy FM Grushko, Turkish Ambassador Discuss Russia's Assistance in Dealing With Earthquake's Consequences
14:28 GMT 14.02.2023
About 26 Million People in Turkiye, Syria Need Humanitarian Assistance After Earthquakes - WHO
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Europe Hans Kluge said on Tuesday that about 26 million people in earthquake-hit Turkiye and Syria are in need of humanitarian assistance.
"The needs are huge and increasing by the hour. Some 26 million people across both countries need humanitarian assistance," Kluge told a briefing.
The organization urges both the authorities and civil society to work together to ensure the cross-border delivery of humanitarian assistance between Turkiye and Syria and within Syria itself, Kluge added.
He called the earthquake in Turkiye the worst natural disaster in the European region in the last 100 years, the scale of which has yet to be assessed.
14:27 GMT 14.02.2023
Woman Rescued From Under the Rubble in Turkiye's Kahramanmaras 205 Hours After Earthquake
13:51 GMT 14.02.2023
Power Supply to Turkish Earthquake-Affected Regions Almost Restored: Energy Ministry
Turkish Energy Minister Fatih Donmez said Tuesday that the work to restore electricity and natural gas supply to Turkiye's earthquake-hit provinces was "mostly complete," with 10,000 energy specialists participating in rescue operations nonstop.

"The work to restore electricity and natural gas in earthquake-affected provinces is mostly complete. The energy ministry's teams are working in the disaster zone, including a large number of miners. About 10,000 energy specialists are involved in rescue operations around the clock," Donmez was quoted by Turkish news agency as saying.

The minister noted that the biggest damage was recorded in the Turkish provinces of Hatay, Kahramanmaras and Adiyaman.

"The restoration work will be completed as soon as possible. But this requires an assessment of the damage. Particularly in the case of the natural gas supply. We cannot restore gas until we have done a proper inspection of the building and the network. Our employees are working day and night in the disaster area," Donmez added.
10:56 GMT 14.02.2023
Death Toll From Earthquakes in Turkey Rises to 31,974: Authorities
The death toll from the devastating earthquake in Turkey has reached 31,974, the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said on Tuesday.

Previous reports indicated 31,643 deaths.
10:02 GMT 14.02.2023
Erdogan: Most of 81,000 Earthquake Victims Now Discharged From Hospital; More Than 8,000 People Were Rescued From Under Rubble
10:01 GMT 14.02.2023
Russian Rescuers Worked Heroically in Turkiye and Syria After Earthquakes: Kremlin
09:46 GMT 14.02.2023
Russia Starts Withdrawing Rescuers From Turkey, Syria: Ministry of Emergencies
Russian rescuers are completing search and rescue operations in earthquake-affected Turkey and Syria and are beginning to leave the disaster zone, Russian Minister for Civil Defence, Emergencies and Elimination of Consequences of Natural Disasters Alexander Kurenkov said on Tuesday.

"The search and rescue operation is coming to an end. Heavy equipment has been involved in clearing the rubble. In this regard, the president has made a decision [to withdraw] the group of the Russian Emergencies Ministry," Kurenkov said during a teleconference with emergency response teams in Turkey and Syria.

Kurenkov noted that Russia was one of the first to help Turkey and Syria cope with the consequences of the February 6 earthquake.

The emergency response teams told Kurenkov that in Turkey, they rescued six people and provided assistance to more than 830 victims, while in Syria, rescuers saved the lives of three people.
08:55 GMT 14.02.2023
Aerial photo showing collapsed buildings in Kahramanmaras, southern Turkiye, Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023. - Sputnik International, 1920, 14.02.2023
World
Turkish Opposition Leader Says Elections Should Not Be Postponed
08:51 GMT 14.02.2023
Two People Rescued From Earthquake Rubble in Turkiye After 198 Hours, Reports Say
Two people were rescued from rubble in Turkiye 198 hours after the devastating earthquakes hit the country's southeast, Turkish media reported on Tuesday.

According to Turkish media broadcaster, people were rescued in the province of Kahramanmaras, which was the epicenter of the earthquake.
Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала